The Wintertime Farmers Market at Hope Artiste Village in Pawtucket, RI is the perfect place to do your holiday grocery and gift shopping! Get the veggies, cheese, meat, shellfish, bread and baked goods you need for your holiday gatherings, plus pick up local gifts for everyone on your list. Open Wednesdays 4-7pm through January and Saturdays 9am-1pm through May.
There are plenty of holiday specials and gift ideas at the Saturday Wintertime Farmers Market:
- Salsa and Pasta Sauce: If you’re attending a holiday gathering, bring the host a flavorful chipotle salsa from Poblano Farm, and their kids are sure to go crazy for their traditional Italian pasta sauce made with fresh garlic and basil.
- Honey: Local honey and honey sticks by Aquidneck Honey, make great stocking stuffers or small gifts. Try their brand new hot honey – imbued with the essence of hot peppers, this treat is great for dressing meat or adding a kick to your PBH.
- Mushroom Logs: For the more adventurous eater on your list choose Farming Turtles home-grown microgreen kits, microgreen edible centerpieces or mushroom logs to grow at home.
- Teas: Farmacy Herbs Tea Sampler is a collection of their handcrafted, organic tea blends to help you relax, fight colds, and warm up this winter. Add a jar of local honey for an extra sweet gift!
- Goat Cheese: Beltane Farm goat cheese baskets feature artisanal, farmstead goat milk cheese that is just heavenly. Simmons Farm also offers a line of Chevre, made in Middletown from their own goats. Give the gift of goat cheese and make someone smile!
- Coffee: Coffee-lovers will be pleased with a pound of New Harvest Coffee Roasters fair-trade coffee, roasted in Pawtucket, RI.
- Treats for Good Causes: The Providence Granola Project, theHarvest Kitchen, and Amos House Bakes craft their products with a social mission, combining real-life job training with locally produced goodies. A granola gift box with Holly Jolly Ginger or Bourbon Pecan; a gift basket from Amos House containing their special cookies mixes; and applesauce, pickles, and award-winning Dilly Beans made from RI produce are available from Harvest Kitchen.
- Body Care:RI Spa Products carry a great line of gifts, from lemongrass body scrub to handmade soaps. Earth Essence Herbals crafts skin care products from all-natural ingredients.
- Summer CSAs: Sign-up a friend or family member now for a 2012 summer CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). The special someone will receive an assortment of veggies, eggs, cheese and/or meats. Check out Langwater Farm, Freedom Food Farm, and Wishing Stone Farm CSAs!
- Cheese Platters: Order a cheese platter from Farmstead as a gift or for your holiday parties! For a very special present, sign a friend up for the Farmstead Meat Club, to receive six seasonal packages of gourmet meats and condiments over the course of a year.
- Jams and Jellies: Jams and spreads can be served to party guests with cheese and bread, or given as gifts to friends and coworkers. Hickory Hill Farm’s exotic jams and jellies include watermelon jelly, rose petal jelly, and hot pepper jam, and those are just some of the delectable options!
- Peanut Butter: Deck the halls of your home with healthy snacks from Virginia & Spanish Peanut Co. Various trail mixes made with local cranberries, roasted nuts, and pumpkin seeds are available from this Providence-based artisanal producer. Support this local business by giving a gourmet nut gift box to someone special this year.
- Dog Treats: Don’t forget that favorite pet on your list. Fill up Fido’s stocking with local homemade dog treats (or cakes!) from Jack’s Snacks, A Dog Bakery. Holiday themed cookies are available now, and gift baskets will be coming soon!
- Decorate: with holiday greens from Allen Farms. While you are there, pick up some fresh herbs to garnish your holiday meals.
- Seafood: Pre-order your fish for the Feast of the Seven Fishes with the Local Catch. Try oysters from Seapowet Shellfish or Matunuck Oyster Farm, or succulent Scallops from Bomster Scallops.
Holiday specials and gift ideas at the Wednesday Wintertime Farmers Market:
- For the avid cook, decorate a package with fresh cut winter herbs such as mint, rosemary and sage fromAbsalona Greenhouse, or lavender from Blue Skys Farm.
- Baked Goods: Breads, cookies, and cookie mixes from Great Harvest Bread Co. will have your friends jumping for joy. Usquepaugh Bakery has treats for dogs and for people too! Get a gift basket of people biscuits and Christmas cookies, or holiday dog cookies. Just be careful not to get them mixed up!
- Salame: For the carnivores in your family, pick up salame sopressata, made with RI raised pork from PV Farmstand.
- Raw/Paleo Treats: Rachael Bakes offers customizable gift baskets containing goodies like truffles, macaroons, gluten-free cookies, and beef jerky. Do you have a friend who wants to learn more about raw food preparation? Class sessions available with Rachael in your own kitchen!
- Maple Syrup: Perfect for baking over the holidays, or as a stocking stuffer, Apponagansett Farm brings their harvested maple syrup from nearby Massachusetts.
- Save the date for the Holiday Local Wine and Beer Tasting at the Wednesday market on12/19.
At either Wintertime Farmers Market you can purchase Fresh Bucks, gift coins for shopping at the farmers market, at the Farm Fresh Welcome Table. They never expire and always bring a smile! Or, stop by the FFRI Sales table and pick up a tote bag or a poster from a farmers’ market past or present!
Whether you are hosting a holiday dinner or attending a party, get the ingredients for a festive and flavorful meal at the Wintertime Farmers Market:
- Poultry, beef, lamb, pork, clams, oysters, scallops, fish, eggs, milk, and cheese are all available from local farmers at the market.
- Veggies in season include: beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, garlic, herbs, leeks, onions, salad greens, parsnips, potatoes, turnips, and winter squash.
- Local apple cider from Hill Orchards and Barden Family Orchard, and Yacht Club seltzers and sodas make fun holiday drinks.
- Keep your kitchen stocked with delicious breads and muffins. Try Seven Stars Bakery’s traditional Holiday Stollen, or Olga’s Cup and Saucer’s Brown Betty or Chocolate Cherry Bread. Gluten-Free delights available from Eva Ruth’s Gluten-Free Bakery.
For more information about Farm Fresh Rhode Island or any of the 6 winter farmers markets visit www.farmfreshri.org.